Wednesday 1 May 2013

A Snippet/Teaser

For absolutely no reason at all apart from the fact that 'I want to', I have a snippet/teaser to share with you all.
It is from the mythological contemporary novel I wrote during NaNoWriMo last year. I haven't touched it since then (I am focusing on another WIP at the moment), so the first draft (including this snippet) is still unedited.

Enjoy!


After Derek fell asleep, I willed my body to follow suit, but sleep never came. My mind reeled with worry; Derek’s distraction had only worked until it was over. I lay on my back with my arms crossed over the blanket covering my chest. I stared up at the ceiling, my mind replaying what had happened in the kitchen earlier tonight.
My attacker had not seemed surprised when my wings sprang free, and that made me feel uneasy. I almost preferred that he had panicked and the sight scared him off; that would be normal. But it seemed to only fill him with more hatred and determination to end my life with his blade. But why? Was my theory from my eighteenth birthday correct? Was I something dark that he had been trying to kill? Derek was convinced I was some perfect and beautiful and good and angelic, but what if he was wrong? The idea ate at me until I could lie still no longer. I got out of bed and walked over to my mirror, ignoring how cold the wooden floor was at my feet.
Standing before the tan-framed wooden floor-length mirror, I brought out my wings – this time on my command. I assumed they had come out while I was being attacked because I was panicked. Once again I remembered the un-shocked expression of my attacker, and turned to rouse Derek. He was surprised to see that I was awake and not in bed beside him, and he blinked groggily at me, wiping a bit of drool from his mouth – at least he didn’t snore.
“What if that’s why he broke in?” I said, rushing right into it without much of an explanation. “The attacker. He didn’t try to take anything. He went straight for me with his dagger. What if he knows what I am?”
Derek’s eyes focused for a moment on my wings, a confused expression knitting his thick brows together. “No one is going to try to hurt an angel, Chloe. Come back to bed.” But I was not satisfied with his response.
“But if I’m a dark angel? Why wouldn’t anyone want to hurt me then?” I persisted. Derek sighed and sat up, the blanket sliding off his torso and settling onto his lap. For once I was too worked up to allow myself to be distracted by his sculpted chest and abs.
“Chloe, you haven’t done anything wrong,” he reasoned, his blue eyes searching mine. “Besides, how would he know about your wings? Only you and I know about them.” He sounded impatient, and I knew he was just tired, but it angered me. Why was he not taking this seriously?
“Exactly. Only you and I know.” He has a point, and I hesitated before turning on him. “Did you tell anyone?” I asked, narrowing my eyes. My wings ruffled slightly and Derek look alarmed.
“What? No, of course I haven’t!” he replied with indignation.
I folded my arms over my chest, anger flaring through me. “Well are you sure you never mentioned it while you were drunk? Like when you were all over Mercedes last month at the club? Don’t look at me like that,” I snapped when his eyes widened in shock and his mouth flapped like a fish out of water as he searched for the words to reject my claim. “I know,” I told him, confirming the fear in his eyes. “I don’t know why I let it slide until now, but...” I sighed, retracting my wings and pointing to the door. “Get out.” I spoke calmly now, but I felt dangerous. A raging anger welled up inside of me and my eyes bored threateningly into Derek’s. His ocean-blue eyes no longer swept me away like a raft on waves. I wanted to gauge them out with my fingers. I wanted to rip his head from his shoulders and watch as he screamed in pain. The anger boiled up inside of me, ready to spill over the brim. A part of me wanted very badly for Derek to argue again. To refuse to leave so I could show him I wasn’t one to be messed with. To prove my black wings were not those of a harmless angel. But he shut his mouth and nodded, seeming to decide that it was best not to argue with me. He dressed almost robotically and said not a word as he left. I waited, nostrils flared as I controlled my anger, until I heard the front door close and lock behind him. I let out the air I had been holding in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment